Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chemerical and Recipes

 
    I was recently coming up to date with my friend, Missi's, blog and noticed the new documentary called Chemerical (available on Netflix). I checked it out and was re-inspired to make my own home products. I already make a lot of our own products but this film motivated me to go ahead and purge the rest of the toxic stuff and replace them with homemade!


 
 
 So here are a few of my favorite recipes. I've tried many I've found on the internet but these are the ones that worked for our family the best.



    Homemade Liquid Dish Soap Recipe
1 TB shredded soap (I used Bronner's Citrus Scented Castile Bar Soap)
1 TB washing soda (not baking soda but you can find out how to make it HERE)
1 TB vinegar (I used homemade citrus vinegar. You can find out how to make it HERE)
1.5C boiling water
essential oils (tea tree, lemon, lavender, etc)

mix and use hot water to melt soap. Pour into re-used bottle and add water to the top.
let sit overnight and shake before usage.


    Sweet Baby Soap Recipe
1/4C liquid castile (I used Bronner's Mild Baby Formula)
2 TB oil (sweet almond, apricot, or olive oil)
1 TB aloe vera or vitamin E oil
essential oils (only ones that are known to be gentle on baby's delicate skin - lavender, chamomile, calendula)
Mix in a reused bottle and add water to the top. Shake well.

This is not a tear-free formula because commercial tear-free shampoos contain numbing agents in them that we like to stay away from.


    Countertop Sanitizer Recipe
1 spray bottle filled with peroxide Mark bottle "#2"
1 spray bottle filled with vinegar in a dilution of 1pt vinegar to 2pts water. Mark bottle "#1"

Spray counters with vinegar "#1" bottle. Leave on and immediately spray with peroxide "#2" bottle.
Wipe off and enjoy your clean counters.
I prefer to use citrus vinegar instead of plain vinegar just for a little scent. You can find the recipe HERE.


    Diaper Safe Laundry Soap Recipe
3C washing soda (not baking soda but you can find out how to make it HERE)
1C baking soda
1C oxyclean

Use 1TB for a large load and less for a small load.
Safe to use on diapers and sensitive skin. No borax or harsh soaps!






No comments:

Post a Comment